Shingles in medicine is understood as herpes zoster (Herpes zoster), since it is this virus that causes the disease. It affects the skin, nervous tissue. Most often, older and middle-aged people who have had chickenpox are sick. The disease is difficult for patients, causes serious skin lesions and can last from 4-5 days to 1-1.5 months. Possible complications in the form of vasculopathy, retinal necrosis can significantly worsen the patient’s quality of life. This remedy can be used to treat this disease: https://pillintrip.com/medicine/avirex.
According to official statistics, more than 19 thousand cases of this pathology are registered in Russia every year. The average indicator is 13.09 cases per 100 thousand of the population.
The cause of the disease is human herpesvirus type 3, which belongs to the alpha herpesvirus group. Penetrating into cells, it begins to multiply and causes degenerative changes in them. First of all, the posterior roots of the spinal cord and intervertebral ganglia become inflamed. Sensory nerves are involved in the process, due to which pain syndrome is characteristic of the disease. Vesicular rashes appear on the chest, face. Damage to the organs of hearing, vision is possible. The disease has several forms, which we will discuss below.
Primary infection occurs mainly in childhood, when patients are sick with chickenpox. In the future, the infection can persist for a long time in a latent form, being most often in the cranial, spinal ganglia – nerve nodes. In most people who have had chickenpox, the pathogen remains in the body for life.
The activation of the virus occurs under the influence of one or several risk factors:
various immunodeficiency states (severe infectious disease, leukemia, lymphoma, chemotherapy and others);
age over 50;
Unlike chickenpox, there are no epidemic outbreaks of shingles. However, doctors and scientists noticed that most of the diseases occur in June-August, and the decrease in their frequency – in the pre-winter period. Scientists attribute this to more intense exposure to ultraviolet radiation
in the summer.
Shingles affects people of all ages, starting from the age of 14, but after 50 years, the likelihood of the disease increases 2.5-9.5 times.
Scientists note the lowest prevalence of the disease among people aged 30–39 years.
Children under 17 years old make up 10% of all cases, in the remaining 90% of cases, shingles are diagnosed in adults.
If the average incidence in young and middle age is from 2 to 4.6 cases per 1000 people per year, then in the elderly this indicator is from 4.5 to 11.8.
In immunosuppressed patients, the risk of developing is 20-100 times higher than in people of the same age with normal immunity.
Men under the age of 50 are more likely to get sick, after 50 – women.
Up to 25-50% of patients in organ transplantation departments and oncological hospitals get sick, mortality is 3-5%.